egiddo has been excavated three
times in the past, and has yielded
some of the richest finds ever found
in Israel. Gottlieb Schumacher
conducted the first excavations at
the site from 1903-1905, on behalf
of the German Society for Oriental Research. |
In 1925, excavations at Megiddo were
renewed by the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago. This
large-scale undertaking, directed successively by Clarence Fisher,
P.L.O. Guy and Gordon Loud, continued until the outbreak of World War
II in 1939.
These excavations revealed twenty major levels of
occupation, covering the entire history of the site. The most
important remains were the sacred compound, the monumental
fortifications and gates, the impressive water systems of the site,
various palaces, and the so-called ‘Solomonic stables’.|
|Yigael Yadin carried out a few short seasons of excavation at
Megiddo in the 1960s and early 1970s on behalf of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
He partially uncovered the monumental Palace 6000, generally attributed to King Solomon, in an attempt to
clarify the complicated stratigraphic problems related to the Iron Age
remains at the site.
|The previous excavations at Megiddo laid the foundation for
the discipline of biblical archaeology. However, archaeological
methods were still in their infancy and nearly every layer and major
architectural feature, in fact, almost every wall and vessel unearthed
at the site, has become the focus of fierce scholarly dispute (see our
Chronology Debate for the current Tel Aviv University take on the
|Please select an image from the following image list to view its full size.