Lecturer in Archaeology
BA - Hebrew University, 1980.
MA - Hebrew University, 1990.
Ph.d - Tel Aviv University,1999.
Ph.d dissertation topic:
Northeastern Israel in the Iron Age I: Cultural,
Socioeconomic and Political Perspectives (supervisor: Prof. Israel Finkelstein).
Grants and Fellowships
- 1994-99 Curator of Safra Square - Jerusalem
Municipality permanent archaeological exhibit. Catalogue: Jerusalem
Through the Ages: Selected finds from archaeological sites in and
around Jerusalem from prehistory through the Ottoman period.
- 1987- G.E. Wright Fellow at the Hebrew Union
College - preparing the Middle Bronze Age and Iron Age material from
Tel Dan for publication.
- 1992 Travel grant from the British Council to
participate in the conference, The Archaeology of Death in the Ancient
Near East", in Manchester.
- 1995-7 Tel Aviv University Rotenstreich Scholarship
for Honors Candidates.
- 1995-6 Doctoral dissertation fellowship from
the National Foundation of Jewish Culture, New York.
- 1995-6 Graduate research award from the Kress
Recent papers delivered at academic meetings
- 1989- Occassional contributions for the Jerusalem
Report and Jerusalem Post
- 1989 (with U. Dahari and G. Avni), The Rampant
Rape of Israel's Archaeological Sites, Biblical Archaeology Review
- 1991 Stepped-rim Juglets from Tel Dan and the
MBI-II (MBIIA-B) Transition, Israel Exploration Journal 41:230-238
- 1992 A Middle Bronze Age Cultic Cache from Tel
Dan, Eretz-Israel 23 (Biran Volume): 9-20. (Hebrew).
- 1992 A Middle Bronze Age Offering from Tel Dan
and the Politics of Cultic Gifting. Tel Aviv 19: 247-266.
- 1993 (with M. Sebbane, O. Ilan, and U. Avner),
On Dating the Early Bronze Age Settlement of the Negev and Sinai,
Tel Aviv 20: 41-54.
- 1993 (with P. Vandiver and M. Spaer), An Early
Glass Bead from Tel Dan, Israel Exploration Journal 43: 230-234.
- 1995 The Dawn of Internationalism: the Middle
Bronze Age (2000-1550 BC), Pp. 297-319 in: The Archaeology of Society
in the Holy Land (ed. T.E. Levy), London: Leicester University Press.
- 1995 Mortuary Practices at Tel Dan in the Middle
Bronze Age: A Reflection of Canaanite Society and Ideology. Pp. 117-139
in: A. Green and S. Campbell (eds.), The Archaeology of Death
in the Ancient Near East and Egypt. Oxford: Oxbow Press.
- 1996 (with A. Biran and R. Greenberg), Dan I:
History of Excavation, the Neolithic Settlement,the Early Bronze Levels
and the Middle Bronze Age Tombs, Annual of the Nelson Glueck School
of Biblical Archaeology, Hebrew Union College.
- 1996 The Middle Bronze Age Painted Pottery from
Tel Dan. Levant 28: 159-174.
- 1996 "Tel Dan", "Aroer", "Dolmens", Grave goods",
"Tumulus" and "Burial Sites" in: The Encyclopedia of Near Eastern
Archaeology (ed. E. Meyers), Oxford University Press.
- in press The Riddle of Structure 5239 at Megiddo
Stratum IX in: Douglas E. Esse Festschrift (ed. Samuel R. Wolff).
Eisenbrauns; publication date 1999.
- in press A Stratigraphic Report on Area F: the
Northern Terrace in: Megiddo III (eds. I. Finkelstein and D. Ussishkin).
projected publication date 1999.
- in press The Middle Bronze Age Pottery from
the Terrace Embankment in: Megiddo III (eds. I. Finkelstein and D.
Ussishkin). projected publication date 1999.
- in press Village Archaeology: Tel Dan in the
Iron Age I, in: Material Culture, Society and Ideology - New Directions
in the Archaeology of Israel. (eds. A. Meier and A. Faust). Bar Ilan
University, Land of Israel Studies (Hebrew).
- forthcoming The Middle Bronze Age, in: The New
Biblical Archaeology Reader. (ed. W.G. Dever). Scholars Press.
- forthcoming Review of E. Oren, The Hyksos, New
Historical and Archaeological Perspectives. Archaeology Odyssey.
- forthcoming (with R. Amiran and A. Eitan) The
Iron Age Levels at Tel Nagila. (manuscript completed).
- forthcoming (with R. Amiran and A. Eitan) The
Iron Age II Sanctuary at Tel Nagila (manuscript completed).
- forthcoming Temples, Treasures and Subterranean
Villages: the Dominion of Death in the Chalcolithic of Canaan.
- forthcoming (with A. Biran and R. Ben-Dov) Dan
II. The Middle and Late Bronze Age Strata and Fortifications. Hebrew
Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion.
- December 1996 Paper entitled: "The Archaeology
of Immigration: a Case Study from the Middle Bronze Age in the Levant."
At the annual meeting of the British Association of Near Eastern Archaeology
held at Oxford University, England.
- June 1997 Paper entitled: "Typology and Regionalism
in the Middle Bronze Age Ceramics of Canaan, with an Emphasis on the
Tel Dan Assemblage." At the Symposium on Middle Bronze Age Ceramics
in the Eastern Mediterranean held at the University of Copenhagen.
- May 1999 Panel speaker in the Research Seminar:
Recent Developments in the Archaeology of the Eastern Delta of Egypt.
Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies, Beersheva University.
- June 1999 Paper entitled: “Village Archaeology:
Tel Dan in the Iron Age I” for the conference: Material Culture, Society
and Ideology - New Directions in the Archaeology of Israel. Department
of Land of Israel Studies, Bar Ilan University.
- June 1999 Paper entitled: “Early Iron Age Tel
Dan: Chronological and Cultural Perspectives and Contributions,” Monthly
Interdepartmental Seminar of the Kimmel Center for Archaeological
Science, Weizmann Institute of Science