Registering for the Postdoctoral Fellowship
Acceptance Requirements to Program
Students complying with the following requirements may apply to the program:
- Students who have completed a PhD or an MD degree in medicine from a recognized institution of higher learning (in Israel or abroad), or a student bearing certification attesting to the completion of required studies towards such a degree and the submission of a PhD thesis for review
- No more than five years have passed from the time the doctorate has been approved and the beginning of the fellowship
- The head of the research team agrees to accept the fellow
- There is a source of funding for the scholarship
- Requests for scholarships funded by the advisor and those funded NOT by Tel Aviv University or the Planning and Budgeting Committee of the Council for Higher Education can be submitted year round.
- Bids for postdoctoral fellowship scholarships granted by Planning and Budgeting Committee of the Council for Higher Education are usually published twice a year:
- In May / June — fellowship to begin in October
- In November / December — fellowship to begin in March
Documents to be Included in the Application Package
- Certification that the candidate is entitled to a PhD, noting the date the degree was awarded, or a letter attesting to the submission of a PhD thesis for review
- A letter from the head researcher at Tel Aviv University willing to advise the fellow
- A letter from the Head of the Department, confirming the fellowship
- Three letters of recommendation (one from the PhD advisor, and one from a researcher not from the University where the candidate completed his PhD)
- A short description (1-2 pages) of the fellowship program
- A current CV and list of publications
- An application form must be included for scholarships granted by the Planning and Budgeting Committee of the Council for Higher Education
Applications will be submitted to the Tel Aviv University postdoctoral fellowship committee. The committee will discuss each application after all documentation has been submitted to the Research Students Section of the Academic Secretariat (Senate Building). Tel: 03-640-8161. Answers will be provided no later than one month following application.
Employment of Postdoctoral Fellows
- A postdoctoral fellow receiving a fellowship scholarship is required to dedicate all his time and efforts to the fellowship.
- If the department requires, and both the fellowship committee and the fellow agree, the fellow may teach for up to four hours per week during the academic year. The fellow will be paid as determined by University authorities.
- A postdoctoral fellow receiving payment for his fellowship and seeking to participate in a fellowship program may apply to the Postdoctoral Fellowship Committee, as appears in the registration information.