Professor of Geophysics, Director of the Minerva
Dead Sea Research Center in the Department of Geophysical, Atmosperic and Planetary
A Little About Me...
Faculty of Exact Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv 69978,
Holds the Max Sonnenberg Professor of Marine Geoscience, Department
of Geological Sciences, University of Cape Town,
Founding Director, Charney School of Marine Sciences, University of Haifa
Head, Israel Center for Mediterranean Sea Research
My office phone is:
and my fax is:
B.Sc. with honors, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem (Geology), 1969.
Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Woods Hole
Institution (Geophysics), 1973.
Academic And Professional
1985-1986 President, Israel
- Department of Geophysical, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences, Tel Aviv
- Department of Geological Sciences, University of Cape Town.
- Department of Geophysics, Stanford University.
- Department of Applied Mathematics, Weizmann Institute of Science.
- Department of Marine Geology, Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research
Experience at Sea: Participated
in scientific cruises to the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans, the
the Red Sea, the Gulf of Elat, the Dead Sea and the Sea of Galilee,
American, Japanese, British, French, Russian, German and Israeli research
1987-1991 Chairman, Department
of Geophysics and Planetary Sciences, Tel Aviv University.
2004- Chairman, Israel National Committee IUGS
2008- Scientific Advisor to the President of the State of Israel
Structure and evolution of passive
Tectonic processes at active continental
* Pacific and
Oceans active margins.
Hellenic and Cyprean Arcs, eastern Mediterranean.
Sheared continental margins.
Dead Sea fault.
San Andreas fault.
Collisional Processes at plate margins.
Membership in National and
Committees -- partial list:
- Commission for the Geological Map of the
- International Lithosphere Program.
- Board of Directors, Geophysical Institute of Israel.
- Board of Directors, Interuniversity
Marine Studies, Elat, Israel.
- Gordon Center for Energy Studies, Tel
Membership in Educational
-- Tel Aviv University.
Departmental M.Sc. Committee, Chair
Departmental B.Sc. Committee
Honors and Awards:
- Associate Editor, Tectonics.
- Associate Editor, Annales Tectonicae.
- Associate Editor, Tectonophysics.
- Associate Editor, Israel Journal of Earth
- Associate Editor, Russian Geology and Geophysics.
1976 Grader Prize, Israel Geological Society
1981 Fellow, Geological Society of America
1984 Citation of excellence, USSR Academy of
1985 Freund Prize, Israel Geological Society
1985 Invited Lecture, Royal Astronomical Society, London
1996 Foreign member, Academia Europaea
1998 Incumbent of the Nebenzahl and Grossberg Chair in Geodynamics
1999 Fellow, American Geophysical Union
2000 Corresponding member, Heidelberg Academy of Sciences
2000 Member, Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities
2003 Israel Prize
2003 Honorary member, World Jewish Academy of Sciences
2004 L.Meitner-A.v. Humboldt Research Award
2006 Foreign member, Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
2012 Lifetime Achievement Award, Israeli Association for Aquatic Sciences
Geological Society of
Sigma Xi (M.I.T. Chapter)
European Geophysical Society
Israel Geological Society
Over 230 publications in scientific journals and ten books and
special issues. To see the
of publications press here.
Supervision of PhD and MSc Students and of Post Doctoral Fellows:
29 PhD Students
35 MSc Students
6 Post Doctoral Fellows
Last Updated: April, 2013.