Plant Roots: The Hidden Half,
Second Edition Revised and Expanded.
Yoav Waisel, Amram Eshel, and Uzi Kafkafi (editors),
Marcel Dekker Inc., New-York (1996)
In memory of Sarah Racine (1914-1995),
a great humanitarian, a good soul,
and a very dear friend.
Table of Contents
Preface to 2nd Edition
I. The Root System Structure and Development
- Characteristics and Function of Root Systems. Alastair Fitter
- Genetic Control of Root Systems. R.W. Zobel
- The Root Cap: Structure and Function. Andreas Sievers and Markus Braun
- The Root Apical Meristem and Its Margins. Peter L. Webster and Ronald D.
- Cellular Patterning in Root Meristems: Its Origins and Significance. Peter W.
- Root Hairs Rose-Marie Hofer
- Root Hairs: Cell Biology and Development. Robert W. Ridge
- Lateral Root Initiation. W.A. Charlton
- Multiform and Multifunction of Various Constituents of One Root System.
Amram Eshel and Yoav Waisel
II. Methods of Root Studies
- Modern Methods for Root Investigation. James E. Box, Jr
- Aeroponics: A Tool for Root Research. Yoav Waisel
- Simulation of Root System Architecture. Jonathan Lynch and Kai L. Nielsen
- Fractal Geometry, Scaling, and the Description of Plant Root Architecture.
Glenn M. Brentson
III. Growth and Metabolism
- Synthesis of Plant Growth Regulatots by Roots. Chanan Itai and Helen
- Root Growth and Gravireaction: A reexamination of Hormone and regulator
Implications. P.-E. Pilet
- Calcium and Gravitropism. B.W. Poovaiah and A.S.N. Reddy
- Respiratory Patterns in Roots in Relation to Their Functioning.
Hans Lambers, Owen K. Atkin, and Ingeborg Scheurwater
- Tree Roots Turnover and Senescence. Janine Bloomfield, Kristiina Vogt, and
Philip M. Wargo
IV. Growth Under Stress
- Temperature Effects on Root Growth. B.L. McMichael and John J. Burke
- Growth Under Oxygen Stress. Malcolm C. Drew and Lewis H. Stolzy
- Growth Under Trace Element Stress. Jurgen Hagemeyer and Siegmar-W.
- Root Growth Under Salinity Stress. Uzi Kafkafi and Nirit Bernstein
- Growth and Mechanical Impedance. Alan T.P. Bennie
- The Drought Rhizogenesis Nicole Vartanian
V. Ion and Water Relations
- Root Structure and Sites of Ion Uptake. David T. Clarckson
- Uptake Mechanisms. Per Nissen
- Dynamics of Nutrient Movement at the Soil-Root Interface. Albrecht O. Jungk
- Root-Induced Changes in the Availability of Micronutrients in the Rhizosphere.
Horst Marschner and Volker Romheld.
- Root Excretions and their Environmental Effects: Influence on Availability of
Phosphorus. B. Bar-Yosef
- Transport of Water in the Rhizosphere and in Roots. J.J. Oertli
- Modeling Water Uptake by Roots Under Water and Salt Stress: Soil-Based and
Crop Response Root Sink Terms. Uri Shani and Lynn M. Dudley
- Simulation of Ion Uptake from the Soil. Moshe Silberbush
- Water Permeability of Roots. Samuel Moreshet, Bingru Huang, and Morris G.
- Carbon Upatke by Root Systems. Andrew M. Farmer
VI. The Rhizosphere
- Mycorrhizae Hugh E. Wilcox
- Root-Bacteria Interactions: Symbiotic Nitrogen Fixation. Carroll P. Vance
- Nonsymbiotic Nitrogen-Fixing Soil Microorganisms. Yoram Kapulnik
- Plant Growth Promotion by Rhizosphere Bacteria. Yoram Kapulnik
VII. Root Pests
- Root-Nematode Interactions: Recognition and Pathogenicity.
Eli Cohen, Hinanit Koltai, Edna Sharon, and Yitzhak Spiegel
- Arthropod Root Pests. Uri Gerson
- Interactions of Roots With Soil-Borne Pathogens. Jaacov Katan
VIII. Roots of Various Ecological Groups
- Ecophysiology of Roots of Desert Plants, with Special Emphasis on Agaves and
Cactai. Park S. Nobel
- Ecophysiology of Roots of Halophytes. James W. O'Leary
- Development and Function of Contractile Roots. Norbert Putz
- Aerial Roots and Their Environment. David H. Benzing
- Ecophysiology of Roots of Submerged Aquatic Plants. Yoav Waisel and
IX. Roots of Economic Value
- Roots as a Source of Food. Daniel F. Austin
- Underground Plant Metabolism: The Biosynthetic Potential of Roots.
Hector E. Flores, C. Weber, and J. Puffett
- Medicinal Roots. Sasson Cohen
See the first edition.
Return to Amram Eshel's list of publications