Visa Types

Entry permit: Israel has visa agreements with 65 countries. Nationals of these countries do not need to obtain an entry permit or visa prior to their arrival in Israel; they automatically receive a B2 Tourist Visa, valid for three months, upon entering the country.

Citizens of the following countries do not need to obtain visas prior to arrival in Israel: Europe: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Germany (persons born after 1.1.28), Gibraltar, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland. Asia & Oceania: Australia, Fiji Islands, Japan, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea. Africa: Central African Republic, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, South Africa, Swaziland. The Americas: Argentina, Barbados, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, St. Kitts, & Nevis, Surinam, Trinidad, & Tobago, The Bahamas, The Dominican Republic, Uruguay, U.S.A.

Nationals of countries without such agreements who plan to visit Israel must submit a completed entry permit/visa application form to the nearest Israeli mission in their country, as well as a photograph and the relevant travel documents. Information about the need for a visa can be found at your local Israeli mission. Tel Aviv University’s Office of Inter-Academic Affairs facilitates the entry permit application process for visiting faculty and students by submitting requests to the Ministry of Interior. Visitors must supply a photocopy of the passport page containing their photograph and personal details. Please note that this process is likely to take at least a month, so applications for entry permits should be submitted well in advance of the planned date of arrival.

B2 Tourist Visa – This can be obtained upon arrival in Israel and is usually valid for three months. It can be extended by the Ministry of Interior for a period of up to 12 months and renewed annually. It is illegal to work in Israel with this visa.

B1 Work Permit –Visitors who have been offered a salaried position at the university must obtain a work permit following their arrival in Israel. The Office of Inter-Academic Affairs will assist in changing a B2 tourist visa to a B1 work permit, although the decision to grant a work permit rests with the Ministry of Interior.

A2 Student Visa – This may be obtained by applying to Israeli missions abroad, or after arrival in Israel from the local branch of the Ministry of Interior. The visa is valid for up to a year and must be renewed annually.

A4 Student Family Visa – Faculty and students can apply for this visa for their family members. It is valid for up to a year and must be renewed annually.

Multiple Entry Visa – This supplementary visa should be requested by all visa holders who wish to leave and return to Israel before their visa expires. A visitor who travels abroad without first obtaining a multiple entry visa will lose his or her current visa status upon reentering Israel.

Visa Extensions or Status Changes

If you need to extend your visa or change your status, contact the Office of Inter-Academic Affairs one month before the expiration date of your visa to set up an appointment at the Ministry of Interior.

Documents required are as follows:

  1. A letter from the Office of Inter-Academic Affairs.
  2. A letter from your host department.
  3. Passport valid for 6 months beyond the date of the requested visa
  4. One passport-size photo.
  5. NIS 145 for a single entry visa.
  6. Additional NIS 75 for multiple entries for B2 (tourist), A2 (student) and A4 (student family) visas. Additional NIS145 for multiple entries for B1 (work permit).
  7. Proof of health insurance coverage until the end of your visit.
  8. A completed Ministry of Interior visa application form (may be obtained in advance from the Office of Inter-Academic Affairs or from the Ministry of Interior at the time of your appointment).

The local branch of the Ministry of Interior is located in Tel Aviv on the 14th floor of the Shalom Tower, 9 Ahad Ha'am St., two blocks west of Allenby St. The 25 bus line from Tel Aviv University has a stop right next to the Shalom Tower. We recommend that you come armed with reading material and ample patience.
* Please note that as of April 4th, 2005 the Tel Aviv branch of the Ministry of Interior will be located at a new address: 125 Menachem Begin St.(Ground floor).

Customs and Taxes

Customs and tax information may be obtained from the following government website: