|My home-page, including full list of publications, links to lab-members and additional information can be found here: www.tau.ac.il/~peer|
lab is studying how to manipulate cells’ functions
in order to generate novel strategies to treat inflammatory
diseases and cancers. We are combining multidisciplinary
approaches including immunology, cell and molecular
biology, genetics, protein engineering, material sciences,
nanotechnology and computational techniques for drug
discovery and potentially for therapeutics. In addition,
we are developing nanomedicines by designing highly
selective targeting moieties and novel nanocarriers,
with an ultimate goal to translate some of our findings
into clinical settings.
1. Peer D, and Margalit R (2000). Physicochemical evaluation of a stability-driven approach to drug entrapment in regular and in surface-modified liposomes. Arch. Biochem. Biophys . 383,185–190.
2. Peer D, Florentin A, and Margalit R (2003). Hyaluronan is a key component in cryoprotection and in formulation of targeted unilamellar liposomes. Biochim. Biophys. Acta .1612, 76-82.
3 . Peer D, and Margalit R (2004). Loading Mitomycin C inside long circulating hyaluronan targeted nano-liposomes increases its antitumor activity in three mice tumor models. Inter. J. Cancer . 108, 780-789.
4. Peer D, and Margalit R (2004). Tumor-targeted hyaluronan nano- liposomes increase the antitumor activity of liposomal doxorubicin in syngeneic and human xenografts mouse tumor models. Neoplasia . 6, 343-353.
5. Peer D, Dekel Y, Melikhov D, and Margalit R (2004). Fluoxetine inhibits MDR extrusion pumps and enhances therapeutic responses to chemotherapy in syngeneic and human xenograft mouse tumor models. Cancer Research . 64, 7562-7569.
6. Shimaoka M, Kim M, Cohen E, Yang W, Astrof N, Peer D, Salas A, Ferrand A, and Springer TA (2006). AL- 57, a ligand-mimetic antibody to integrin LFA-1, reveals chemokine-induced affinity up-regulation in lymphocytes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA .103,13991-13996.
7. Peer D, and Margalit R (2006). Fluoxetine and reversal of multidrug resistance. Cancer Letters . 237,180-187.
8. Klausner EA, Peer D, Chapman RL, Multack RF, and Andurkar SV (2007). Corneal gene therapy. Journal of Controlled Release . 124 ,107-133.
9. * Peer D , Zhu P, Carman CV, Lieberman J, and Shimaoka M (2007). Selective gene silencing in activated leukocytes by targeting siRNAs to the integrin lymphocyte function- associated antigen-1. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA , 104, 4095-4100.
10. Peer D, Karp JM, Hong S, Farokhzad O, Margalit R, and Langer R (2007). Nanocarriers as an emerging platforms for cancer therapy. Nature Nanotechnology . 2, 751-760.
11. * Peer D , Park EJ, Morishita Y, Carman CV, and Shimaoka M (2008). Systemic leukocyte-directed siRNA delivery revealing cyclin D1 as an anti-Inflammation target. Science . 319, 627-630.
12. Astrof NS, Peer D, and Shimaoka M (2008). Development & Application of Conformation- Selective Integrin Antibodies. In S. Gad (Editor), Development of Therapeutic Agents . John Wiley & Sons Publishers. In press .
13. Peer D (2008). Fluoxetine and cancer multidrug resistance extrusion pumps. In M. Schwab (Editor), Cancer Encyclopedia . Springer publishing. 1, 1145-1148.
14. Imai Y, Park EJ, Peer D, Peixoto A, Cheng G, von Andrian UH, Carman CV, and Shimaoka M (2008). Genetic perturbation of the putative cytoplsmic membrane-proximal salt bridge aberrantly activates alpha4 integrins. Blood . 112(13), 5007-5015. (Cover feature).
15. Argov M, Kashi R, Peer D, and Margalit R (2009). Treatment of resistant human colon cancer xenografts by a fluoxetine-doxorubicin combination enhances therapeutic responses comparable to an aggressive bevacizumab regimen. Cancer Letters . 274 ,118-125.
16. Peer D, and Shimaoka M (2009). Systemic siRNA delivery to leukocyte-implicated diseases. Cell Cycle . 8, 853-859.
17. Peer D (2009). Nanocarriers delivering RNAi to cancer cells: from challenge to cautious optimism. Therapy . 6(3), 293-296.
18. Ben-Arie N*, Kedmi R *, and Peer D (2009). Integrin-targeted nanoparticles. In Shimaoka M (Editor) Integrins . Methods in Molecular Biology . Humana Press. In press . * denoted equal contribution.
19. Kedmi R, and Peer D (2009). RNAi nanoparticles in the service of personalized medicine. Nanomedicine . 4(8), 853-855.
Kim S-S*, Peer D*, Kumar P*, Subramanya S, Wu H, Asthana
D, Habiro K, Yang Y-G, N.
22. Dearling JLJ, Voss S, Dunning P, Park EJ, Fahey F, Treves T Solapino S., Shimaoka M, Packard AB, and Peer D (2010). Detection of Intestinal Inflammation by microPET Imaging Using a 64Cu-Labeled Anti-b7 Integrin Antibody.Inflammatory bowel diseases. 16(9):1458-66.
Weinstein S., and Peer D (2010). RNAi Nanomedicines:
challenges and opportunities
24. Kedmi R*, Ben-Arie N*, and Peer D (2010). The systemic toxicity of positively charged lipid nanoparticles and the role of Toll-like receptor 4 in immune activation. Biomaterials 31, 6867-6875.
25. Rivkin I, Cohen K, Koffler J, Melichov D., Peer D*, and Margalit R* (2010). Paclitaxel-clusters coated with hyaluronan as selective tumor-targeted nanovectors. Biomaterials 31, 7106-7114.
26. Peer D (2010). Induction of therapeutic gene silencing in leukocyte-implicated diseases by targeted and stabilized nanoparticles: A mini-review. Journal of Controlled Release 148, 63-68.
27. Cohen-Kupiec R, Weinstein S, Kantor G, Peer D, Weil M. (2010). IKAP/hELP1 downregulation in neuroblastoma cells causes enhanced cell adhesion mediated by contactin overexpression. Cell adhesion & migration Oct 8;4(4).
28. Elfakess R. and Peer D. (2010). Overcoming RNAi transduction in leukocytes using targeted and stabillized nanoparticles. IDrugs Sep 13(9):626-31.
29. Drug E, Landesman-Milo D, Belgorodsky B, Ermakov N, Frenkel-Pinter M, Fadeev L, Peer D, Gozin M (2011). Enhanced Bioavailability of Polyaromatic Hydrocarbons in the Form of Mucin Complexes. Chemical research in toxicology. 24(3):314-20.
30. Kim SS, Subramanya S, Peer D, Shimaoka M, Shankar P. (2011). Antibody-Mediated Delivery of siRNAs for Anti-HIV Therapy. Methods in molecular biology 721:339-353.
31. Bachar G, Cohen K, Hod R, Feinmesser R, Mizrachi A, Shpitzer T, Katz O, Peer D. (2011). Hyaluronan-grafted particle clusters loaded with Mitomycin C as selective nanovectors for primary head and neck cancers. Biomaterials Jul;32(21):4840-8
32. Peer D, Lieberman J. (2011). Special delivery: targeted therapy with small RNAs. Gene therapy Dec;18(12):1127-33.
33. Mizrahy S, Raz SR, Hasgaard M, Liu H, Soffer-Tsur N, Cohen K, Dvash R, Landsman-Milo D, Bremer MG, Moghimi SM, Peer D. (2011). Hyaluronan-coated nanoparticles: The influence of the molecular weight on CD44-hyaluronan interactions and on the immune response. Journal of Controlled Release. 2011 Dec 10;156(2):231-8.
37. Mizrahy S, Peer D (2012). Polysaccharides as building blocks for nanotherapeutics. Chem Soc Rev. 41, 2623–2640
39. Goldsmith M, Mizrahy S, Peer D (2011). Grand challenges in modulating the immune response with RNAi nanomedicines. Nanomedicine (Lond) . 2011 Dec;6(10):1771-85.
40. Srinivasan C, Peer D, and Shimaoka M (2012). Integrin Targeted Stabilized Nanoparticles for an Efficient Delivery of siRNAs in vitro and in vivo. Methods in Molecular Biology . 2012;820:105-16.
41. Landsman –Milo D., and Peer D (2012). Modulating the immune response with liposomes. Journal of Controlled Release . 161, 600-608.
42. Moyano D., Goldsmith M., Solfiell D., Landesman-Milo D., Miranda O., Peer D.* and Rotello VM* (2012). Hydrophobicity Dictates Immune Response. Journal of American Chemical Society 2012 Mar 7;134(9):3965-7.
43. Barenholz Y and Peer D (2012). Liposomes, lipid biophysics, and sphingolipid research: from basic to translation research. Chemistry & Physics of Lipids 165, 363-364.
44. Barenholz Y., and Peer D (2012). Liposomes and other assemblies as drugs and nano-drugs: From basic and translational research to the clinics. Journal of Controlled Release 160(2), 115-116.
45. Peer D (2012). Immunotoxicity-derived from manipulating leukocytes with Lipid-based nanoparticles. Advance Drug Delivery Reviews. 64 (15), 1738-1748
Weinstein S., Emmanuel R., Jacobi A.M., Abraham A.,
Behlke M.A., Sprague A.G., Novobrantseva T.I., Nagler
A., and Peer D (2012). RNA inhibition highlights Cyclin
D1 as a potential Therapeutic Target for Mantle Cell
Lymphoma . PLoS ONE. e43343,7(8), 1-5.
48. Landesman-Milo D., Goldsmith M., Levitn –Ben Arie S., Witenberg B., Brown E., Leibovitch S., Azriel S., Tabak S., Morad V., and Peer D (2012). Hyaluronan grafted lipid-based nanoparticles as RNAi carriers for cancer cells. Cancer Letters In press.
50. Peer D (2013). A daunting task: manipulating leukocytes’ function with RNAi. Immunological Reviews. 253; 185-197.
Emmanuel R., Weinstein S., Landesman-Milo D. and Peer
D (2013). eiF3c: A potential
* See also commentaries:
• siRNA delivery to activated leukocytes (2007). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 104, 3669
• The art of assembly (2008). Science. 319, 578-579.
• siRNA nanoparticles, fully loaded (2008). Nature Chemical Biology. 4, 167.
• Escorting siRNA (2008). Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology. 9, 189.
• siRNA with Guts (2008). Nature Biotechnology. 26, 403-405.
• Biomedicine: The new gold standard (2013). Nature. 495, s14-s16.