Schnell Izhak, Dept. of Geography
Short Curriculum Vitae (highlights):
Birth: 16.10.48, Israel
marital status: married + 2
B.A.: (1975) Geography and Sociology, Haifa University.
Magister: (1980) Urban and Regional Planning, Technion, Haifa.
Ph. D.: (1984) Geography, Clark University, Mass. U.S.A.
Senior lecturer in Tel Aviv University since 1995.
Lecturer in Tel Aviv University since 1985
Head of Geography Department, Beit Birl College, 1987-1990.
Head of Beit Birl college curricula committee, 1993-1995.
Major publications (books and major articles):
1. Smueli, A., Schnell, I., Soffer, A. (1986) The Little Triangle: A region Transition, Series in Middle Eastern Studies, Haifa University press: Haifa, 122 pp. (Hebrew)
2. Schnell, I. (1994) Perceptions of Israeli Arabs: Territoriality and Identity, Avebury: London, 123 pp.
3. Schnell, I. (1994) Identity Draws A Territory, The Institute For Israeli Arab Studies: Beit-Berl, 159 pp. (Hebrew).
4. Schnell, I., Sofer, M., Drori, I. (1995) Arab Industrialization in Israel: Ethnic Entreprenuership in the Periphery, Praeger: N.Y. 204 pp.
5. Sofer, M., Schnell, I., Drori, I., Atrash, A. (1996) Arab Entreprenuership and Industrialization in Israel, The Institute For Israeli Arab Studies: Beit-Berl, 200 pp. (Hebrew).
1. Schnell, I. (1989) "A Schema For Using Records of Geographer’s Careers in the Study of Geographic Thought", Environment and Behavior, 21, 2, pp. 577- 602.
2. Schnell, I., Kipnis, B. (1989) "well-Being in a Pluralistic Society: Toward a Policy Oriented Methodology", Geoforum, 20, 3, pp. 303-313.
3. Schnell, I. (1993) "Israeli Palestinian Territorial Perceptions", Environment and Behavior, 25, 4, pp. 419-456.
4. Schnell, I. Graicer, I. (1993) "Causes of In-Migration to Tel-Aviv Inner City", Urban Studies, 30, 7, pp. 1185-1204.
5. Schnell, I. (1994) "Urban Restructuring in Israeli Arab Settlements", Middle Eastern Studies, 30, 2, pp. 330-350.
6. Schnell, I. (1997) "Nature and Environment in the Socialist-Zionist Perceptions: Sense of Desolation". Ecumene.
Teaches in the following subject areas:
Methodological approaches in Geography (M.A.), Methodological proseminar, Introduction to antropogeography, Social Geography of Israel, Arab regions in Israel, Environmental ethetics, Urban and r
egional planning .
Areas of current research
Spatial and Environmental mythes in Zionism.
Jewish-Arab relations in Israel.
Philosophy of Geography.
Migrant workers in Israel.
Social Geography of Tel Aviv.