The research is aimed towards the development of novel analytical instrumentation for largely improved broad range of analysis and applications including fuels, new synthetic organic compounds, environmental pollutants, pesticides in agricultural products, drugs in biological fluids and forensics. Professor Amirav is the author and co-author of 176 peer reviewed papers with citation index h of 43 and the inventor of 18 international patents.
Special emphasis is given to collaborations with the international analytical instrument industry.
Current topics of research and instruments that were developed include:
1. Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) with Supersonic Molecular Beams (Cold EI) - The quest for ultimate performance GC-MS. (GC-MS with Cold EI)
2. Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS) with Supersonic Molecular Beams - Improved electron ionization LC-MS for the provision of library searchable mass spectra for a broad range of compounds. (LC-MS with Cold EI)
3. Isotope Abundance Analysis - for Improved Sample identification with GC-MS with Cold EI and EI-LC-MS
4. Pulsed Flow Modulation GCxGC and GCxGC-MS with Cold EI - Lowest cost easy to use GCxGC modulation technology for the combination of improved GC separation and ultimate GC-MS with Cold EI sample identification information.
5. Fast GC - Fastest Fast GC analysis cycle time with standard fused silica columns.
6. Open-Probe Fast-GC-MS - Real time analysis with separation.
7. Pulsed Flame Photometric Detector (PFPD) - for gas chromatography. Over 3500 units are in world wide use. The best FPD and much more.
8. Fast GC-PFPD system for Field Analysis of Chemical Warfare Agents - Ultra trace level CWA analysis without false alarms combined with agent identification at the molecular level.
9. Electrolyzer powered Flame Ionization Detector (EFID) - Gas cylinder free FID. Saves GC purchase and maintenance cost more than the price of GC in its lifetime, combined with improved safety, sensitivity, GC transportability and ease of use, and all the above with zero added cost as the simple electrolyzer replaces the costly three channel EFC of the FID.
10. Human Breath Analyzer for Medical Diagnostics - (with the "GasFree" GC-FID)
and SnifProbe - sample introduction devices and methods for MS probe
sampling, extract-free GC and GC-MS analysis and airborne vapor
sampling. Both manual and automated versions are in wide worldwide service.