The Minerva Foundation is inviting proposals to hold a German-Israeli Minerva School in 2016.
Minerva Schools may be held in all areas of research with a focus on young Israeli and German scientists (i.e. especially post-doctoral- and doctoral students). Minerva Schools aim at enabling first contacts, scientific discourse, exchange of ideas and also interaction with select senior scientists. In this sense the funding provided is seed money to establish new collaborative efforts. Scientists from German universities and non-university research institutions as well as from the six Israeli universities and the Weizmann Institute are eligible for applications. The venue may be in either Germany or Israel. In both countries, the participants should come from different institutions.
Minerva Schools are funded with up to EUR 25,500. The funding shall be spent to support all junior scientists (especially post doctoral- and doctoral students) involved and cover their travel, boarding, and lodging expenses. Senior scientists (lecturers) may also receive financial support, however no honoraria.
Please send proposals in English only (by e-mail and normal post) and include the following points:
· Content and subject area that the Minerva School will be dealing with
· Specific topics to be addressed during the school
· Future impact of the school for the field of research
· Planned course of the programme (including a schedule)
· Expected participants and lecturers (names and institutions), please state that the attendees have already confirmed their participation. (The ratio between the numbers of Israeli and German participants should be approximately equal.)
· Budget (if the costs exceed € 25,500, please mention the source(s) for the additional funds) – see enclosure
· Conference venue and date
· Co-operating institutions
· Name and affiliation of the organizer and co-organizer
Please note that your proposal for a Minerva School should not involve similar/identical topics or the same group of people as previous ones (http://www.minerva.mpg.de/minerva_schools/list.html).
Because selection is competitive it is recommended to submit a detailed proposal (average: 4-6 pages).
The deadline for submitting applications is 10 July 2015. Please address your proposal to:
Minerva Stiftung, Ms. Sieglinde Reichardt
Hofgartenstr. 8, 80539 München
Tel. +49-(0)89-2108-1242, Fax: +49-(0)89-2108-1222
Enclosure/Call for Proposals for German-Israeli Minerva Schools
On principle, only costs for the scientific part of the event can be taken into account. A subsequent increase of the lump sum following the grant is not possible.
The grant may be used for
· rent for accommodation
· costs for board and lodging
· travel allowances
· costs for supplement programs
· printed matter and office supplies
· postage and phone costs
· other material costs
The following items can, on principle, not be discounted at the expense of the project funds:
· personal salary of the project heads
· expenses for administrative duties
· costs for printing reports on congresses and seminars
· expenses for construction and installation measures
· operational and maintenance costs (e.g. electricity, gas, water, cooling agents), maintenance contracts
· contributions for property insurance, expenditures for letters of safe conduct
· expenses for the use of an institute’s own service facilities (such as computing centers or other – also scientific – services) on the basis of an internal performance settlement
· expenses for apparatus which must be considered as up-to-date initial equipment (for the respective field)
· expenses for the supplementation or repair of apparatus which is not the property of the Minerva Foundation Ltd.
· turnover tax insofar as it can be deducted as input tax